Are you interested in doing business in the world’s largest market, the USA? Are you a scale-up company active in Maritime & Offshore, Energy (including Logistics), Life Sciences & Health or Resilience, with plans to enter the US market? Then join our economic mission to Houston, Texas from 16-21 March 2020.
The United States and the Netherlands have been trading partners for more than 400 years. Today the United States is the largest and most important trading partner of the Netherlands outside of Europe, with a total trade volume exceeding €57 billion (2018). Exports from the Netherlands to the United States grew by 20% in 2018 amounting to €23.8 billion and continues to grow. The Netherlands is Houston’s 4th largest trading partner with trade valued at €10.8 billion in 2018, the lion’s share of which is handled by the Port of Rotterdam.
Rotterdam and Houston: strengthening economic ties
The cities of Rotterdam and Houston are committed to strengthening their economic ties. Together they are planning to develop a soft-landing program for companies from both regions, as well as an economic mission to Houston in March 2020. Rotterdam and Houston are two cities that have strong economic and geographic similarities. Both cities are strategic trade gateways and global leaders in the Energy, Chemicals, Port and Logistics, Life Sciences and Manufacturing industries. Cities where innovation and industry converge and that choose to tackle modern day global challenges head-on. Over 45 companies from the Rotterdam region are already based in Houston and there are active partnerships between several institutions from both cities. In addition both cities are members of C40 and the 100 Resilient Cities foundation and face similar challenges in the fields of climate and urban resilience.
What to expect from this mission
- Tailor made matchmaking program for individual mission participants.
- Access to seminars (learn more about doing business in the United States and how to start a business in the United States).
- Visiting companies, institutions and Innovation Hubs (e.g. TMCx, Station Houston and Houston Innovation Hub) in the Greater Houston area.
- Networking events and a Houston-Rotterdam business reception.
- On location support by NBSO Texas and the Greater Houston Partnership (soft-landing).
Houston Facts & Figures
- 4th largest, most diverse and one of the fastest growing cities in the USA.
- Greater Houston Area economy is the 24th largest economy in the world (GDP: $490 billion USD)
- Central location and proximity to North, Central- and South America: ideal location for a HQ and a hub to move goods and people.
- USA’s largest export market and most important export port.
- Energy Capital of the world and home to the world’s largest Medical Center (Texas Medical Center).
- Leader in Aerospace technology (home to NASA’s Johnson Space Center).
- 20 universities and colleges, including three Tier 1 universities, educating nearly 220,000 students.
- Overall living costs below the U.S. average and significantly lower than other major urban hubs (State of Texas has no personal or corporate income tax).
- Over 45 companies from the Rotterdam region already located in the Greater Houston Area.
- Greater Houston area is home to over 50,000 Dutch-Texans. Nord Anglia British School (Katy, Texas) offers a middle/high school Dutch language program.
Register for this mission
Click here to register for the Economic mission Houston 16-20 March 2020.
Houston, Texas - Verenigde staten van Amerika